We love the charms of live wood: knots, cracks and if it’s been ground by a checkerboard, it’s a godsend! We don’t understand why oak, walnut, or ash wood should be turned into the plastic with putty and paint! We do not consider knots and cracks as product defects, so we emphasize their beauty and treat them to be easy to use. Developing a collection of serial items of loft furniture, we thought of every detail to achieve the best price without compromising the quality and environmental friendliness of the product.
Our loft tables differ from others in that we are very meticulous about every detail. For a loft-style kitchen, you need a hard-wearing table that will give joy to every member of the family.
- 1 TIPS FOR CHOOSING A DINING TABLE FOR THE KITCHEN
- 2 №1. WHAT SIZE TABLE DO YOU NEED?
- 3 №2. WHAT SHAPE SHOULD I CHOOSE?
- 4 №3. WHAT TABLE TO CHOOSE FOR A SMALL KITCHEN?
- 5 №4. A TABLE FOR A LARGE KITCHEN
- 6 №5. WHAT MATERIAL TO CHOOSE?
- 7 №6. WHERE TO PUT IT?
- 8 №7. A NUMBER OF TABLE LEGS: HOW MUCH BETTER?
- 9 №8. DINING TABLE STYLE
- 10 TO END
TIPS FOR CHOOSING A DINING TABLE FOR THE KITCHEN
The dining table in the kitchen is a special place. All family members gather here to eat, but also to talk, often receive guests, and many even use the surface of the table for cooking if the kitchen is very small and a separate working surface is not provided. Of course, the requirements for the table surface will be different in each case, and it all depends on the main scenarios of its use. But still, when choosing a dining table it is important to pay attention to its decorative qualities, strength, durability, ease of care. It is also important to consider the style of the kitchen, the parameters of the room, and the number of people living in the apartment – all these factors are of great importance. Let’s understand what dining table will be the ideal option in each case. The following tips should help in the choice.
№1. WHAT SIZE TABLE DO YOU NEED?
The table should be such that the whole family can sit comfortably at it, but there is still free space in the kitchen itself. Experts in ergonomics calculated long ago and derived a formula for a comfortable table. For example, per person sitting should be at least 60 cm wide and 40 cm deep, in the middle of the table there should still be room for serving items common to all. The minimum width of the dining table is 80-85 cm, and the length is selected depending on how many people will regularly gather at the table, and how big your kitchen is.
It is also worth noting that choosing a table with a width of more than 105 cm, even if the kitchen area allows, is not a good idea. At such a table it is quite difficult to communicate, it loses comfort. But the table already 80 cm would also be uncomfortable for the family because there is no place for serving.
The choice of table sizes depends on its shape. For example, a rectangular table with parameters 150 * 90 cm is perfect for a family of 4-6 people, depending on where it will stand. For a family of up to 8 people, it is better to have a table with the parameters of 200*110 cm, etc. If the table is round, then the calculation is a little different: the smallest table with a diameter of 110 cm is perfect for 4 people, with a diameter of 130 cm – sit down already 6 people.
In this case, it is worth considering that there should be free space for normal movement. For example, chairs should be moved without any problems, without disturbing other pieces of furniture or equipment. It is optimal to have at least 1 meter between the table and the neighboring items.
№2. WHAT SHAPE SHOULD I CHOOSE?
Today dining tables are mostly square, rectangular, round, and oval in shape, although some designer collections include such fancy-shaped options, whose comfort is questionable. So what form of the table out of the standard ones is more preferable in each case?
A rectangular table is a real classic. It is very convenient, it can be easily put against the wall or pulled out to the center of the kitchen. Moreover, there are a lot of folding, sliding models, tables-transformers, which is a few moments from a compact dining table turns into a place to hold a real feast for a dozen people.
Square tables are some of the roomiest. In addition, they are a great space saver, suitable for small kitchens. Standing in the corner, they would be a great option for a family of two, and a square table in the center with a minimum side length of 90 cm is already a great option for a family of 4 people. For larger families with a roomy kitchen, a square table that seats 8 would be great.
A round table will make the kitchen interior more interesting, and space itself – safer for children, because there are no corners. Moreover, a round table can accommodate a lot more people than a rectangular table with the same surface area. Also on sale are round tables with the ability to transform. Dining tables of this shape have some disadvantages: they cannot be pushed against the wall, and they are only suitable for small families, as a table designed for 8 people would be so large that it would be uncomfortable to communicate at it.
Oval tables have all the advantages of round and rectangular: they are great for large families, are comfortable, and have a great look. Semicircular tables are also popular today – not a bad option for kitchens with a small area.
№3. WHAT TABLE TO CHOOSE FOR A SMALL KITCHEN?
Summing up all of the above, it can be noted that for a small kitchen, the best option is a semicircular table, where one side is straight, which is close to the wall. A small round table is a great option for a small family, which in everyday life usually does not use the corners of the table for serving, which means there is an opportunity to save space in the kitchen.
For the smallest kitchens, you can recommend a folding table that is bolted to the window sill or wall. When it is time to eat, it is lifted, and after – returned to its usual position, so it does not interfere with the free movement in the kitchen. As a rule, together with such tables use stools that can also be folded, or set on top of each other.
The table-transformers are a variant invented just for modest-sized rooms. Compact at first glance, the table can turn into a huge table thanks to special mechanisms of folding, sliding, etc. If guests come, there will be no problem with their seating.
To make the space visually a little wider, you can choose a transparent table made of glass or plastic. It will still take up space, but the kitchen will not be perceived as tiny and cluttered with furniture.
№4. A TABLE FOR A LARGE KITCHEN
For a large kitchen, you can choose almost any dining table option, because you are not constrained by anything. A roomy table will look great in a spacious kitchen – a small table will just get lost and look out of place. It is best to put the table in the center, but if the kitchen is equipped with an island, the table can be placed closer to the wall.
For large kitchens, long rectangular and oval tables, which will be complemented by appropriate chairs, are excellent. For medium-sized kitchens, tables of any shape will do, and their location will depend on the location of other pieces of furniture.
№5. WHAT MATERIAL TO CHOOSE?
The dining table should be made of durable and reliable material that is resistant to the effects of accidentally spilled moisture, normally endures washing. Today, the most popular tables, in which the tabletops are made of such materials:
- Wood. Such tables are the strongest, most durable, and reliable, they last for decades, can boast of an excellent appearance. Depending on the species of wood, the tabletop can have a different shade and texture. Such tables fit perfectly into the classic interior and will be indispensable in the kitchen, where there are already wooden pieces of furniture;
- Rattan is another natural material that, despite its lightness, is very strong and durable. Such tables are usually covered with even thicker glass on top, in order to maintain the beautiful appearance of the wicker furniture, and improve performance, reducing the risk of crumbs in the cracks;
- Glass is a material that, due to its transparency, does not visually clutter the room, but in terms of functionality is not inferior to its counterparts. Glass tables are made of tempered triplex, which is strong enough, can withstand a hard blow, and even if damaged, can not hurt anyone. The glass itself may be completely transparent or opaque, with some kind of pattern, photo-printed or colored. The legs can be made of any material, but metal ones look the most appropriate. Such a table fits perfectly into the interior in the style of minimalism and high-tech. Care for it is a little more complicated, as you need to carefully get rid of stains;
- Laminated chipboard is the cheapest but at the same time short-lived material. The surface can imitate any texture, but rather quickly there are chips from mechanical damage and bubbles from moisture;
- MDF veneer is a very durable material that is almost as good as wood, and with proper care, the table can even be called eternal;
- A stone countertop is a real decoration of the kitchen, but the room itself for such design steps should not be too small. In terms of performance such tables are durable, maximum durability, it is impossible to damage them by impact or water ingress;
The table finished with tiles is quite interesting, but rare variant. If we line the table surface with the same tiles as the walls, we will get a harmonious interior, and the table will be easy to clean and will not be afraid of moisture and aggressive detergents.
№6. WHERE TO PUT IT?
Most kitchens can not boast a large area, so there are few options for placing the table. The table is usually put under the wall opposite to the one where the work area is located. If the kitchen is spacious and has a full dining area, then the table can be placed in the center. If you are lucky to own a separate room, designed for eating, then the table is definitely placed in the center.
№7. A NUMBER OF TABLE LEGS: HOW MUCH BETTER?
The number of legs of a table can vary within certain limits. Often this parameter is underestimated when choosing a dining table, although it is just as important as the tabletop material or table size. So, how many legs can a table have, and what is the preferred option?
One leg as central support is a very comfortable and stable option. It is very comfortable to sit at such a table because your feet will not bump into the table legs;
- Two legs – this is not the most comfortable option, although it looks quite compact and comfortable. A huge disadvantage of such designs is the lack of opportunity to sit on the ends of the table because there will simply be nowhere to put your legs;
- Three legs, as a rule, are found in round tables. This is quite a comfortable, functional, and aesthetic option;
- Four legs – a classic variant, the convenience of which is probably tested by each of us, so there is no need to comment here.
№8. DINING TABLE STYLE
Probably do not even need to talk about the fact that the dining table should fit into the interior of the kitchen space. It is advised to choose a table and chairs already at the very end of the kitchen renovation when all the subtleties of the created interior are known. But it’s better to create a project for the future kitchen in advance and choose a table that will fit in as well as possible. Kitchens, made in the classic style, will complement the wooden dining tables. Modern space will look great with a glass table and plastic transparent chairs.
Modern kitchens and kitchen studios today are often equipped with bar counters. They serve both as a space divider between the work area and the dining area and as an additional surface, at which you can also dine or have a snack.
The dining table is the real center of the kitchen, where all the household gathers and where guests are received. This place should be cozy and comfortable, practical and durable, fit the room in style and size, to accommodate all family members and guests. At first glance, the choice of dining table seems to be the most difficult task, but in fact, everything is much easier: you just need to think in advance about the kitchen interior and the requirements for the table itself, and our tips will help you to make the right choice.